By: Lawrence Rakestraw
Saginaw Mine Western Shaft, Rakestraw collection, ISRO Archives.
till a third operation took place, this to the south of Conglomerate Bay, near Rock Harbor. The Saginaw Mining Company, apparently backed by Marquette capital, sent out a small work force in 1877 to mine an old location formerly prospected by the Ohio and Isle Royale Company. They sank two shafts with a winze connecting them and took out a limited amount of copper. But operations ceased after 1879.